- To contribute to the overall training of Pharmacy and Nursing undergraduate students with adequate knowledge of drug actions, their interactions and toxic effects.
- Develop traditional herbal remedies for various diseases as claimed in the traditional medicine. This will also be in collaboration with the Drug Research and Production Unit of the Faculty.
- To be involved in relevant research leading to the safety and efficacies of phytomedicines, evaluate and To train postgraduate students in Advanced Pharmacology for the Pharmaceutical Industries, Research Institutes, Hospitals and the Universities.
- To serve as a consultant avenue for the evaluation of potency of pharmaceuticals used in the hospitals, biomedical research centers.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES:
The areas of research interest among the academic staff of the Department include:-
Malaria, Ethno-, Neuro-, & Sleep-Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacokinetics.
The research activities in the department are as follows:
- Investigation of Nigerian medicinal plant extracts for their pharmacological and toxicological effects in order to prove their claims as used in traditional medicine.
- Investigation of the pharmacological profiles of synthetic agents isolated from natural sources.
- To determine the effects of malaria parasitaemia in various behavioural activities like: rearing, grooming, body scratching, pruritus, and excitation, with emphasis on using anti-malarial drugs. In addition, mechanism through which some anti-malarial agents produced their behavioural and toxicological effects are explored.
- Pharmacokinetics of co-administration of antimalarials and other drugs for possible synergestic effect in therapy.
- Studying the effect of bioactive substances (endogenous and exogenous) on sleep-wake states and effects of sleep deprivation on body system.